Saturday, October 20, 2012

Movie Review: Paranormal Activity 4


Cast:
Katie Featherston: Katie
Kathryn Newton: Alex
Matt Shively: Ben
Brad Allen: Robbie

Runtime: 1hr 35mins
Rated: R

Plot: Five years after, Katie murdered her sister and disappeared with her baby nephew Hunter, they are back and live across the street from Alex and her family. The little boy Robbie, from across the street, is weird and has a strange affect on Alex's little brother Wyatt. Spooky things start to happen in Alex's house, which she films using her laptop and phone. What Alex doesn't know is the connection she has to Katie and Hunter.

In My Opinion: Having seen the the last three movies, I knew exactly what to expect from this one, but yet, I somehow still walked into the movie thinking, I was going to experience something different. Maybe something that would bring back the terror I felt watching the first two. Okay, I wasn't scared with the first one while I watched it, but days later, little things would freak me out, like a door opening by itself. It never did, but I kept imagining it did. Anyway, I was looking for this movie to scare me in the same way. But it didn't. If anything, it made me laugh more than the other three did. I think the biggest reason this movie is not as powerful as the first two were, is because of the third film that let all the viewers know it was not an evil demon spirit we were dealing with, but instead a witch's cult. That ruined the whole Paranormal Activity franchise for me. It's so much scarier when it's an evil ghost trying to mess with the home owners. Now the creators of Paranormal Activity 4 do still keep the suspense alive with the night scenes that the viewer sits through waiting for something to happen. I know I sat in the movie theatre looking at the screen intensely waiting to see something odd to appear making my stomach tie in knots. And then boom something happens, and I yawn. Okay, I jumped a couple of times. But overall, I was bored. I also figured out the twist way before the film exposed it. My husband hates when I do that. Yes, I ruined The Sixth Sense for him and he will never forgive me. There could be a 5th part, but I'm not sure I will see it. I think I'm done with the Paranormal Activity movies.

It's Rating Time

Story: 2 out of 5 stars: It's more of the same with a silly twist.

The Acting: 4 out of 5 stars: It's actually pretty good and might be the only thing I liked.

The Scare Factor: 2 out of 5: It's the silence followed by sounds, any house would make, that does it.

Overall Rating: 2 out of 5 stars.

Bottom line: If you want more of the same, go see this movie. If not, I suggest you skip it, and watch it next year around this time on DVD.

~Maria

2 comments:

  1. Good review Maria. While the first two follow-ups at least attempted to give us something new and create a mythology, part four is bereft of ideas and rehashes moments from both its precursors and classics of the horror genre. I didn’t hate it, but it definitely didn’t take me by storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I was really hoping to see this one. Good thing I don't have time to see it in the theatre, I guess.

    ReplyDelete