Saturday, December 1, 2012

Movie Review: Skyfall




Cast:
James Bond: Daniel Craig
M: Judy Dench
Silva: Javier Bardem
Gareth Mallory: Ralph Fiennes

Runtime: 143 minutes
Rating: PG-13

Plot: Bond's loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.

In My Opinion: I'm a life-long fan of Bond movies as my dad is a giant fan (he's the reason I've always been into Star Wars and Indiana Jones type films and can't really stand chick flicks). I took my husband and 10-year-old son to see this and each of us was pleased (have to say it was a proud moment to introduce my son to the world of Bond - he was instantly hooked). The movie opened with a chase scene in full-swing that involves driving dirt bikes over roofs of houses in a foreign city and later running the bike off a bridge to jump on a train. Far fetched, probably. Classic bond, you bet. Later on we're given a visually stunning scene (above) that involves the struggle of Bond and a bad guy in front of a LED display on a building in Shanghai. Javier Bardem was freaking brilliant as the villain in this film - so much that it was creepy and I kept forgetting who the actor was (the cringe-worthy blond hair was part of it). The showdown between Bond and the villain's posse in the end was original and really put and older Bond to the test. This movie had many references to the classic Bond films ("were you expecting an exploding pen?"), and it even played the famous original score when he broke out a classic car. As for my son watching, there were a few scenes I wish I would have covered his eyes, but I guess they can't stay little forever. Fast paced and energized despite an agent fighting the aging process, this film was everything I had hoped it would be.

It's Rating Time

The Story: 5 out of 5 stars: As always, some of the stunts were a little bit out there, but the story was completely engaging and even had the audience laughing at times.

The Acting: 5 out of 5 stars: Seriously, we are talking some of Hollywood's finest in this film. Only a few times did I think OMG they're talking to Voldemort!

The Action: 5 out of 5 stars: Bond's insane stunts never grow old. 

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Bottom Line: If you're a fan of the Bond series, this one is a definite do-not-miss. If you're not into Bond, still go see it. You don't have to know a story to get swept away by this secret agent's charm.

(Full disclosure: I totally swooned through this entire movie. Especially the scenes in which Criag was shirtless.)

~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment